The Bay View Association (BVA) of The United Methodist Church is a National Historic Landmark community founded in 1875. It is situated on 337 acres and is home to more than 30 public buildings, nearly 450 cottages and two inns. Stormwater has long been an issue in the community as evidenced by seasonal flooding of homes and eroding hillsides.
Campus stormwater was not being filtered properly causing excess nutrients and sediment from campus stormwater.
The lower section of Tannery Creek was one of the most impaired systems in Northern Michigan. Improvements included removal of the existing, undersized culvert and replacement with a timber bridge.